Friday, February 27, 2009

What's your potential? (It's not what you think)

You can’t do it.You don’t have what it takes.
It's impossible for you to lose weight and get
back in shape.

Does hearing that tick you off? You should be if
you’re not. Never let ANYONE tell you that you
can't do something. But what’s more important than
someone else telling you that you can’t, is
telling yourself you can’t. That should really
make you fume.

Potential is underestimated all the time. Each
time I take a client through a push up test they
moan and groan in the beginning and tell me they
won’t be able to do one push up. Every time,
without fail, they do more than they think they
can.

So why is that? Why do we underestimate
ourselves?

Well, there are many reasons. But we’re very good at
leaving our potential locked up inside us. If we just
unlock that potential (I’ll tell you what the key is in a
minute) we could become so much more. We’d be more
successful. We’d excel in our careers, in our
communities, AND our health and fitness.

But it’s human nature to take the path of least
resistance.

Do you know your own potential? I mean, do you
really know what you’re capable of?

I can tell you with absolute certainty it’s more
than you think.

Just yesterday I was going through my workout
doing tricep extensions. I started with my right
arm and moved to my left, doing 12 reps. I
increased the weight on the second set and did 10
reps. I increased the weight again on my third set
and started extending. My mind began to drift
and by the time I refocused I was on rep 13!
Here I planned to do 8 reps because that was my
"potential". I was completely wrong! I had the
potential to do more. But my self-imposed limitations
were preventing me.

This is the case with you too. Your mind is very
powerful. And sometimes it does more harm than
good. I call it head trash. Because that’s exactly
what it is.

You have the potential. You just have to unlock
it.

And here’s the key...

The key to unlocking your potential takes three
steps.

1. Decision. This must occur first. Decide comes
from the latin word decidere, meaning ‘to cut off’. You must cut
off all other options. Decide whole-heartedly that you
will lose weight, get in shape, improve your
health, or whatever it is you want to accomplish.
There are times I talk with men and women and
they’re not that uncomfortable with the extra
weight they’re carrying around. If you’re not
disgusted with how you feel or how you look then
it’s likely you won’t cut off everything else. Every
other option. Decide - once and for all - to get your
body and your life back!

2. Commitment. You’ve made the decision. Now you
have to make it stick. And you do this by
commiting. Call it a pinky swear, a promise, or a
vow. Call it what you will. But commit to a
program. Nothing should get in the way of your
commitment. Not sleep, not a rainy day, not even
your coworkers birthday cake.

3. Action. This step is the hardest. This step takes
the most effort. This is getting off your duff and
DOING it. You can think about it, dream about it
and talk about all day long. Till you’re blue in
the face. But nothing, and I mean NOTHING, will
happen until you take action. One of my favorite
quotes is from Dan Kennedy. "Be somebody.
Be somewhere. Do something." Emphasize the last.

Decision, Commitment, and Action is your key
to unlocking your potential. If you add
accountability and persistence you’ll
exponentially increase your potential. You didn’t gain
weight and fall out of shape overnight. So it will
be hard at first. And it will take some time. But
you CAN do it.

Decide, Commit, and Do.

To your health,

Tim Chudy

P.S. - Don't Wait Until It's Too Late To Get Your
Body Back! Go here to register for a complimentary
consultation with Fitness Together

P.P.S - Not Ready For A Consultation Yet? No
Problem. Complete the form here and we'll email you a
complimentary Fitness Information Packet.
blog comments powered by Disqus